Ok, now it's my turn to tell a little 'things. For the series "one day I could tell my grandchildren I was there" when Richard ... I invited her to participate in this madness, I could not resist the allure of the new, dell'inesplorato, the challenge. Unfortunately I had not available a full month of time (but not even 2 weeks) I decided to join the pedal only crowds on Easter Sunday. And so I went with Rick in 3 days probably the hardest of the whole trip. We were both trained ... sure ... but we did not imagine to what we were going against.
3/4/2010
After locating Rick camped in the middle of the bush, we prepared our delicious dinner in a bag (polenta "Avec fromage") and went to bed with the sun. The next morning, more or less perky, we ride the time in Switzerland. We knew that we had in front of 1800m in altitude, we also knew that the weather was not good, but, moreover, we both had a goal in mind ... do it!
The climb did not seem threatening at first, too bad for that strong wind consistently blowing in the opposite direction (and who goes on a bike knows that the wind is sometimes worse than more steep climbs). Slowly climb the mountain ... but more and we go the colder it ... then it starts to snow ... increasingly dense ...
Friends, I'll be honest, it's hard to describe in words the pain in my legs, breathing heavily, not being able to stop for more than 1 minute if no cracks cold, etc.. I can only say that many drivers passing through, or playing sfanalando calcson, who raised his thumb, and who his fist and a car full of people opened the windows screaming GO THERE JUST THAT!
After I do not know how many hours of this hell we finally white in Simplon, the first village with hotels in Switzerland, wrapped in a cozy blanket of at least 1 meter. Found our hotel, we enjoy the deserved rest + hot shower and dinner.
... now I'm sorry but I have to go to bed. Tomorrow, the rest of the news.
4/4/2010
Wake up early in the morning by the notes of a song from the kraut-Swiss radio by the bed, we go immediately to make a high-calorie breakfast.
Out the window there is still time for wolves the day before, but our road, as evidenced by the video, it's clean.
Just time to put our bikes together, pay the bill (a kidney to his head), and we're back in the saddle. Today, however, the effort is intense but short, we lack only about 600 meters uphill to reach the poor "Simplonpass. In fact, in no time at all, we arrive at the top of the pass.
Col moral to the stars for the success of the company, we do get some 'photos and autogratifichiamo us with hot tea and pastries.
Soon we are ready to share and enjoy the dizzying descent (about 20km) which will lead us to Brig. The descent, though the climb more enjoyable, is not without pitfalls. First of all the freezing: running at 50-55 mph with temperatures that reach 0, it's easy to not feel my hands. And if your hands do not feel, it is hard to stop ... but when the slope is 9% not stop can be a problem. So every time we stop and try to regain sensitivity by rotating the arms to the blood flow to the hands (a technique borrowed from rugby players, says Rick).
finally arrived in the valley, we look back to see the gray and threatening snow-capped peaks that we have so painstakingly left behind. At Brig seems almost spring, the meadows are green and there is also some flowers. Too bad for that
strong wind in the opposite direction that we do not want to leave.
Cycling riding into the sunset come to Zion and accompanied by a few drops of rain are looking for a place to sleep. We find a nice house apparentemete uninhabited and a beautiful barn-garage open and welcoming ground floor. Our intentions were obviously to ask if we could settle down there for the night, but since there is no ... we have used on their own. And then the filthy garage filled with cobwebs and has become a top luxury hotel for our weary limbs.
0 comments:
Post a Comment